Sunday, November 30

Series Sunday: The Vampire Diaries

Hi guys!

It's been some time since my last Series Sunday, but I simply didn't feel like writing one. Besides I don't watch enough tv-shows in order to post one every Sunday, but I will try to post one every other month. Today, as you might have guessed from the title, is all about The Vampire Diaries.



P.S. This post, like all the Series Sunday post, might contain spoilers. I'll try not to, but sometimes I just can't help it.
So, The Vampire Diaries. I believe this show was the first tv-show that got me hooked. I believe the show was halfway the second season when I decided to start watching, so I had some catching up to do, but man; it was worth it. I absolutely loved it and I believe this show started my tv-show addiction. 

Let me start off with some facts:

  • The Vampire Diaries is a tv-show based upon the books by L.J. Smith;
  • The show first aired in 2009;
  • The Vampire Diaries has won 27 awards and has been nominated another 39 times. Some of the awards include Kids' Choice, Teen's Choice and Young Hollywood awards. 
  • The show was developed by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec. 
  • The Vampire Diaries has its own spin-off series; The Originals (which I will talk about in another post as this is my absolute favourite series)
That was it for the facts. Now let's move on to the storyline.


The Vampire Diaries is all about the life of Elena Gilbert. She is a teenage girl in the town of Mystic Falls, Virginia, who falls in love with a guy names Stefan Salvatore. What she doesn't know is that he is a vampire and that the supernatural actually exist. Stefan Salvatore has a brother, Damon Salvatore, who is a vampire as well and who wants revenge on his brother for turning him into a vampire against his will.

I believe that is the shortest and easiest way to describe the storyline without spoiling anything. Moving onto the characters. Again, there a quite a few of them, but luckily not as many as in Downton Abbey. I will tell you what description I think fits the character the best and as you might notice; I don't like every character in the show. For a less judgemental description I suggest you take a look at the Vampire Diaries Wikia site that you can find here. I didn't include characters that became part of the main cast after season 1, as I felt that would spoil to much.

Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev): I think it's quite obvious that this whole series is about her. She's an enormous dramaqueen and can get very annoying. 
Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley): Your typical good guy! Trying to be good and all, but he can be a complete jerk as well.
Damon Salvatore (Ian Somerhalder): The bad guy who actually isn't too bad. Hottie alert! Stefan's older brother.
Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola): You will hate her and you will love her as well? She has really grown on me and I think she is actually the sweetest of all the characters. Elena's BBF.
Bonnie Bennet (Kat Graham): Elena's other BFF, although you will not always notice their friendship. Bonnie will always sacrifice herself for other. ALWAYS..
Jeremy Gilbert (Steven R. McQueen): Elena's younger brother. Doesn't know how to cope with the loss of his parents. Just another teenage boy.
Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig): Elena's ex-boyfriend. The cute guy with the puppy eyes who doesn't really get a lot of screentime. He's okay. He always tries to do the right thing.
Tyler Lockwood (Michael Trevino): A total jerk! Matt's best friend and Caroline's boyfriend. Gosh.. What does she see in him? He does change a bit throughout the series, but he will always be the jerk.
Jenna Sommers (Sara Canning): Elena and Jeremy's aunt and legal guardian. The cool aunt who isn't a lot older. Just a nice character! She just has the love-factor.
Alaric Saltzman (Matthew Davis): The new history teacher. Falls in love with Jenna with whom he makes the cutest couple. Another good guy! What's there not to love about Ric?


Those who what the show will know that the picture above is not completely true. My opinion on the show? It is not what it used to be any more. I liked the first three seasons the best and then everything went a bit downwards I'm afraid, but that's just my personal opinion. I know that there are people who feel like the last few seasons are the best and that's okay. I just don't feel that way. I will keep on watching as season 6 - the season which is airing now - is the last season and I just want to know how they end it, but I don't get as excited as I used to. 

Anyway, I guess that was it for this Series Sunday! Let me know if you watch The Vampire Diaries and what you think about it!

Love, 
Bo
source pictures: weheartit.com




No comments:

Post a Comment