Saturday, January 24

Driving Lessons and My Fear of Driving

Hi guys,

So today I have a post about something that is quite dear to my heart; driving lessons and fear of driving. If you've been following my blog for some time, you probably know that not too long ago I was still having driving lessons. At the end of October I passed my exam and I got my driver's license, but it didn't go all that well.. As for today, I thought I would just share my experience with driving lessons with you. Nothing fancy, but just me telling you how I felt during those times.

As the title suggest, I have a fear of driving. When I initially started this post - when I first drafted it - this was true, but is isn't anymore. Let me just say that I am not afraid of driving anymore.

So, in October 2013 I started my driving lessons, sort of forced by my parents. I wasn't sure; Driving a car seemed like something that I couldn't do. I just wasn't into I guess. When the day of my first lesson came, I was extremely nervous and anxious. Luckily, I didn't have to drive on the public road. My instructor drove me to an industrial area where there were barely any cars. There he explained how the car worked and I drove my first meters in a car. When I got home, I was so tense and I bursted into tears, just letting all the anxiety go. This definitely was the last time I cried over a driving lesson.

Call me a cry baby, but I actually cried quite a lot during my driving lessons. Not only did I think it was scary, I also wanted to be able to do everything first time around. I'm not really a perfectionist, but somehow I just wanted to get it over with and learn to drive as quick as possible. Of course, this is impossible, especially when you're actually quite scared of driving.

Anyway, after a year of driving lessons, I passed my exam at the second attempt and I got my driver's license. Now I love driving a car and I quite often - although I never quite admit it to my parents - drive some extra kilometres for fun. I'm not afraid anymore when behind the wheel and I actually really enjoy driving. Of course, sometimes I'm not a 100% sure of what I'm doing, which is why I'm always cautious when on the road.

What I'm trying to say is; you can't do things perfectly first time round and it's okay to be afraid of things. Once you conquer those fears, you'll notice that there's nothing to be afraid of. You can do it! There's nothing wrong with trying and failing. You'll learn more from a process of trial and error.

Love,
Bo

source picture: weheartit.com









No comments:

Post a Comment