Wednesday, January 28

Films I Would Like to Watch #1: The Top of the Iceberg That Is My To Watch List.

Hi guys,

I have a confession to make;  I have this HUGE - Yes, it's that big -  list of films that I would love to see. And it was this confession that inspired me to write this blogpost.
So, today I thought it would be nice if I would share some films on my "to watch" list as the list seems endless.

Let's go! 

So, these films are in no particular order. They just all sound very interesting to me and I am hoping to watch them all in the near future.

#1 Testament of Youth.
The story of Vera Brittain, who postponed her studies at Oxford University during World War I to serve as a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse in London, Malta and France, and later became a writer and a pacifist.


So, this is a real story, and I don't know why, but I've been into these kind of stories. I might even buy the book if I like the film. I just love my historical dramas, so I believe this is right up my alley.

#2 The Invisible Woman
At the height of his career, Charles Dickens meets a younger woman who becomes his secret lover until his death.


This, again, sounds like a great period/historical drama and I love those kind of films. Also, I love Ralph Fiennes, so this film might turn out to be a winner.

#3 In Secret
Set in the lower echelons of 1860s Paris, Therese Raquin, a sexually repressed beautiful young woman, is trapped into a loveless marriage to her sickly cousin, Camille, by her domineering aunt, Madame Raquin. Therese spends her days confined behind the counter of a small shop and her evenings watching Madame play dominoes with an eclectic group. After she meets her husband's alluring friend, Laurent, she embarks on an illicit affair that leads to tragic consequences.


Sticking with the period dramas, right? I stumbled across this trailer by accident and it just gripped me. It just looks so good. Besides, Elizabeth Olsen is so pretty and Tom Felton is always a good choice.

#4 Summer In February
Set in Cornwall in the early 20th century, Summer in February focuses on a group of Bohemian artists called the Lamorna Group, which include Alfred Munnings (Dominic Cooper), Laura Knight (Hattie Morahan) and Harold Knight (Shaun Dingwall). The group is at the centre of the real life love triangle between Alfred, his friend Gilbert Evans (Dan Stevens) and the girl they both loved, Florence Carter-Wood (Emily Browning).


Dan Stevens! Do I need to say more? I've loved Dan since Downton Abbey and, even though my old maths teacher looks an awful lot like him, which is awkward now I think of it, this trailer so looks really good. It may look like your typical love story to some people, but I just really like it. Especially when it is set in times past.

#5 Unbroken
After a near-fatal plane crash in WWII, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a harrowing 47 days in a raft with two fellow crewmen before he's caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.


The fact that this is a story based on truth breaks my heart, but on the other hand I think it is beautiful. I am just really curious to see this film - which, according to a friend of mine, is absolutely beautiful - and I hope that I'll be able to see it in the theatre. If not, I'll probably buy it on DVD.


#6 The Theory of Everything
The relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawking and his wife.


Once again, I don't know what it is exactly, but this trailer just gripped me. I guess it is just because this is the story of genius. 


#7 A Promise
A romantic drama set in Germany just before WWI and centered on a married woman who falls in love with her husband's protégé. Separated first by duties and then by the war, they pledge their devotion to one another.



This film, another period drama, just looks really good. Half of the time, I can't even explain why I would like to watch a film. If it's a period drama and the trailer looks good, I'll probably watch it. Plus, Alan Rickman stars, so what's not to love?

#8 Winter's Tale
A burglar falls for an heiress as she dies in his arms. When he learns that he has the gift of reincarnation, he sets out to save her.


This is actually the only film out of this list that I own a copy of. The story just sounds really interesting and I really like Jessica Brown Findlay, so I bought this some time ago, but I haven't got around to watching it, yet.


#9 Selma
A chronicle of Martin Luther King's campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965.


A friend of mine mentioned this film when we were recapping various subject of American History in class, and she and another classmate  were talking about this film, so when I got home I decided to watch the trailer and man.... It looks really good. This film is another real story and I am starting to get into those. Anyway, I will definitely go and watch this film when it comes out here in The Netherlands.


#10 A Little Chaos
A female landscape-gardener is awarded the esteemed assignment to construct the grand gardens at Versailles, a gilt-edged position which thrusts her to the very centre of the court of King Louis XIV.



So, the main reason I want to see this film is Versailles. It is on my "Places I Would Like to Visit" list, so that was the first and foremost reason I want to go to the theatre for this. The second reason is Alan Rickman. God, I love that man. He is such a great actor.

That was it for now, but I'm pretty sure that the next one in this "series" will be up pretty soon, as I can name plenty of other films I want to see.

Love,
Bo

source picture: weheartit.com
source trailers: youtube.com
source synopsis: wikipedia.com and imdb.com










No comments:

Post a Comment